Share and follow us if you think this was helpful!
Share on Facebook1Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn0Share on Reddit0


This is an example explaining how to use the calculator.
The calculator itself can be found here.

Jack would like to find out what he needs to make on his final exam in history class in order to make a B. The grading scale is based on the following formula:

Three tests, worth 15% each
Ten quizzes, worth a total of 30%
A final exam, worth 25%

Jack made 72, 85, and 76 on his three tests.
Jack’s quiz grades are 100, 90, 100, 100, 100, 80, 0, 90, 70, and 90.
He will take the final in a few days.

Step 1: Jack enters his scoresJack enters the grades he has received so far into the cells at left. In each row of cells, he enters a grade he received in the left cell and the amount that grade counts toward the final average in the right cell. For example, the rows

72 15
85 15
76 15

indicate that Jack’s test grades are worth 15% each.

Note that Jack typed 15, not 15%, in the right column. Typing percent signs will confuse the program.

Also note that Jack did not convert the numbers to decimals; i.e. he did not type .15 in the cells to indicate a weight of 15%. Simply type 15 to indicate 15%.

The quizzes are slightly more difficult, but we can handle them. There are 10 quizzes, worth a total of 30% of the total grade. This means that each individual quiz is worth 30 divided by 10, or 3%, of the final grade. Therefore, Jack enters a 3 next to each quiz grade.

100 3
90 3
100 3
100 3
100 3
80 3
0 3
90 3
70 3
90 3

Note that Jack did not skip any rows when entering his grades; skipping rows can confuse the program. It’s okay to have blank rows at the bottom.

Score % of final grade
Step 2: Jack enters the minimum final average needed for each gradeJack’s school uses a plus-minus grading system.

In order to receive an A in the class, his final average must be at least 93, so he types

A 93

in the first row of cells. He needs a final average of at least 90 to get an A-, so he types

A- 90

in the next row. He repeats the process for B+, B, and so on.

Once again, note that Jack left the percents off; he typed 93, not 93%, for an A.

He also did not skip any rows, although blank rows at the bottom are OK.

In order to receive this grade Your final average must be at least
Step 3: Jack calculates his gradesUpon pressing the Calculate! button, Jack sees the following in the box below:

The Amazing Grade Calculator tells Jack that he has already received 75% of his total grade. This make sense, since his only remaining grade is the final exam, worth 25%.

So far, Jack’s average is 79%, so he’s currently sitting at the upper end of C+.

Next, the program tells Jack what he needs to make on the final to receive each possible letter grade. As you can see, Jack doesn’t have a chance at anything above a B unless his teacher puts bonus questions on the final exam. On the other hand, Jack is almost guaranteed to pass the class; assuming D- is passing at Jack’s school, Jack would have to make less than 3% on the final exam to fail!

You’re now ready to go back to the Amazing Grade Calculator and compute your own grades! Best of luck to you in your studies!